South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
11/20/14 - 7:29 am
11/19/14 - 12:04 pm
Robert F. "Bob" Cage, a Halifax native, was known for his achievements in an array of fields that he pursued with customary passion.
11/19/14 - 7:56 am
The superintendent lost the support of a longtime backer, board chairman Robert Puryear
11/20/14 - 7:26 am
There might have been some cynics wondering about the direction of the Halifax County High School varsity boys’ basketball team before last winter.
- More A&E
Weekend blazes ravage shed, empty house
SoVaNow.com / December 26, 2012A passerby traveling on Lower Liberty Road Saturday afternoon around 4:30 noticed a fire burning in a shed behind the home of Mary Cage, at 1061 Lower Liberty Road, Nathalie.
The driver stopped and asked the owner if she was aware of the fire in the shed and was advised that she was not, according to fire officials. The driver and homeowner called 911 immediately and the Liberty Volunteer Fire Department arrived shortly with three trucks and ten firefighters.
The Halifax Volunteer Fire Department also was called to assist with three trucks and seven firefighters.
The shed was completely involved by the time firefighters arrived and along with all its contents was destroyed. The fire was extinguished before it damaged another building which was located a couple of feet away.
In other fire calls his week, Clover firefighters were called out to a house fire on Friday afternoon after a neighbor called in a report of a blaze on Covington Trail.
According to Clover Assistant Fire Chief Shawn Madigan, the house was fully engulfed in flames when they received the call at 4 p.m. The structure, which was originally a one room log cabin, had been expanded with several rooms added onto it.
Madigan said it is his understanding that no one lived in the house at the time of the fire, but a Mr. Hazelwood had lived there earlier, but now just came to the house off and on during the day.
Madigan said it looked like the fire may have originated in the kitchen area although his department had been unable to be sure of its cause.
The property, he said, was valued at some $35,000.
Clover firefighters were assisted by members of the Triangle Fire Department as well as Scottsburg and Liberty firefighters.
News & Record