The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Wayward bear causes accident

Bob Cage, renowned artist, athlete and tobacconist, dies

Robert F. "Bob" Cage, a Halifax native, was known for his achievements in an array of fields that he pursued with customary passion.

Latest effort to oust Thornton fails

The superintendent lost the support of a longtime backer, board chairman Robert Puryear

Sports

Comets prove cynics wrong

There might have been some cynics wondering about the direction of the Halifax County High School varsity boys’ basketball team before last winter.

Community


Opinion


A&E

News

Damages minor in kitchen fire

SoVaNow.com / January 14, 2013
South Boston firefighters were called out Saturday night to a kitchen fire that is believed to have started from a stove.

Firefighters removed the stove from the home of Charley Brown at 1322 Porter Lane around 9:48. After clearing the smoke from the home, firefighters returned to the station about an hour later.

Twenty-two firefighters answered the call and were assisted by others from the Halifax Volunteer Fire Department. Damages to the home were estimated at some $1,500.

Tell-a-Friend | Submit a Comment

307

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.