The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Wayward bear causes accident

Bob Cage, renowned artist, athlete and tobacconist, dies

Robert F. "Bob" Cage, a Halifax native, was known for his achievements in an array of fields that he pursued with customary passion.

Latest effort to oust Thornton fails

The superintendent lost the support of a longtime backer, board chairman Robert Puryear

Sports

Comets prove cynics wrong

There might have been some cynics wondering about the direction of the Halifax County High School varsity boys’ basketball team before last winter.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Plain and Simple for Jan. 2, 2013

SoVaNow.com / December 31, 2013
We are into the New Year 2014. Here are a few things that I would like to see a little less of and a little more of for the New Year.

Things I would like to see less of:

Miley Cyrus: Is there any way to bring back Hannah Montana? I understand that most of what she does is a carefully calibrated attempt to sell more albums, but I do not care for the packaging. One commentator went so far as to hold her up as an example of a sexually liberated female. Oh, please!

Congress: Has there ever been a more dysfunctional group of elected officials? Gone are the days when thought was given to actually helping the American public. Now we more often hear our Representatives and Senators talking about preventing action than helping someone.

Illogical proposals: You have the right to disagree with me but please do it in a logical manner. I have had it with people who argue such things as we cannot have new gun control laws because criminals will not abide by them. By that logic, we will have to do away with laws against rape, murder, and robbery since last I checked criminals were still ignoring those laws with regularity.

Things I would like to see more of:

Pope Francis I: We finally have a Christian who acts like a Christian. He may not have a hit TV show but he lives a simple life and he identifies with the poor. Several political commentators were furious when he made some statements critical of capitalism. But if the Duck Dynasty patriarch has free speech, I guess the pope does, also.

Faces: We have become a nation of people who are glued to electronic devices. Have you ever stopped to watch people in a room? Most of them, especially the young ones, will be looking at their phones. When was the last time we sat down to a dinner without resorting to our cellphones for a diversion?

Manners: I think we are becoming more and more disconnected as a people. Communication devices such as cellphones are actually distancing us. We no longer possess the ability to talk and interact face to face. Our manners reflect this.

Whatever happens in 2014, God will be there and I pray that it will be a great year for you!

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.