The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Wayward bear causes accident

Bob Cage, renowned artist, athlete and tobacconist, dies

Robert F. "Bob" Cage, a Halifax native, was known for his achievements in an array of fields that he pursued with customary passion.

Latest effort to oust Thornton fails

The superintendent lost the support of a longtime backer, board chairman Robert Puryear

Sports

Comets prove cynics wrong

There might have been some cynics wondering about the direction of the Halifax County High School varsity boys’ basketball team before last winter.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Plain and Simple for Feb. 7, 2013

SoVaNow.com / February 05, 2013
I remember when I was in seminary, a friend of mine once told me that I was either the happiest miserable person he had ever met or the most miserable happy person. I do indeed have a tendency to mix metaphors when it comes to moods. When things are going well for me and I am happy, I often find myself done in by the way in which humans can mistreat each other and I get a bit depressed. Conversely, when I look around and get the most downhearted over the sad things that I see, I cannot help but be impressed with what God is doing in my life and in the world. Then I am forced to perk up a bit.

Right now I must confess that the news from around America is not overwhelmingly good. We still have not turned the corner economically and every news outlet tells us that we are headed over the fiscal cliff soon. I, like so many other Americans, am totally fed up with the people in Washington. I do not want to read one more time about how they are not going to yield on this or that point. Politics is supposed to be the art of the possible and not the art of saying no. Just get it done! When you add in the fact that we still have the war in Afghanistan and continued tension in the Middle East and North Korea as well as other hot spots, it is easy to understand that people are on edge.

Still, I think that one thing that is missing in our country today is a healthy sense of optimism. We are, after all, America. No, that does not mean that we are perfect or more important than any other nation. It does mean, however, that we have a history of accomplishing some pretty impressive things. We still are the destination of choice for immigrants from all over the world. We still have the most powerful military in the entire world. We still have freedom and privileges that people around the world can only dream about.

So why should we constantly berate ourselves and look at the worst possible scenario? I believe that we dishonor the men and women of our armed forces who are sacrificing so much for us when we belittle the country that they are fighting for. Of course we have problems, but let’s quit fighting so much among ourselves and fix them.

I remember a time in America when it was taken for granted that we would fix any problem that we faced. We might disagree vigorously with each other but that did not mean that we would not work with each other to make this a better place for ourselves and our children. It is time that we get that attitude back. To do any less is un-American.

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.