The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Wayward bear causes accident

Bob Cage, renowned artist, athlete and tobacconist, dies

Robert F. "Bob" Cage, a Halifax native, was known for his achievements in an array of fields that he pursued with customary passion.

Latest effort to oust Thornton fails

The superintendent lost the support of a longtime backer, board chairman Robert Puryear

Sports

Comets prove cynics wrong

There might have been some cynics wondering about the direction of the Halifax County High School varsity boys’ basketball team before last winter.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for Jan. 17, 2013

SoVaNow.com / January 17, 2013
Ezek. 24:22 “And ye shall do as I have done: Ye shall not cover your lips, nor eat the bread of men.” Ezekiel is telling us, ‘When this happens, you do just like I did.’

Ezek. 24:23 “And your tires” (your fancy head-dress) “shall be upon your heads, and your shoes upon your feet:” (he’s saying to them to not put on any sack cloth; mourning clothes) “Ye shall not mourn (moan) nor weep; but ye shall pine away for your iniquities”, (your sins will vanish away) “and mourn one toward another.” (24) “Thus Ezekiel is unto you a sign: according to all that he hath done shall ye do: and when this cometh, ye shall know that I am the Lord God.” The instruction to the people is: ‘You do exactly as Ezekiel has done, and when this thing happens, you will know that I am the Lord God.” What patience our Father has with His children! As much as He dislikes it when His children won’t study His Word, He still has patience to say, “I want them to know that I am God.” Why? They don’t believe it. If they believed it, they would want to study the Word, rather than listening to men. Although many profess to be Christians and fill their church pews every time the doors open, they don’t study the Word of God. They depend on the preacher and the Sunday school teacher to tell it to them. They would rather hear the traditions of men than they would the beautiful Truth of God’s Word. Friend, only God’s Word can save you - man’s traditions certainly cannot. We are not to judge other people, but we are told that we can know genuine Christians by the fruit they produce for the Kingdom of God. If their faith doesn’t show in their works, it’s a pretty good indication that they are Christians in name only, and it seems that there are a lot of them. God doesn’t want us to serve Him on a part-time basis. He demands full time service. This is not to say that we should quit our jobs and leave our families and strike out on the foreign mission trail. For some reason, we tend to think that only the visible workers; the often-seen-in-public workers are the only ones doing anything that counts in God’s service. Far from it. God honors even small things that we do in His name, like smiling at another person and speaking in a friendly manner. Who knows, that might be just what that person needs to give them a lift for the day. That Christian gets just as much credit from Father as the TV preacher who is on every day of the week. God looks at things differently than we do: ….“for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart” (1 Sam. 16:7).

Ezek. 24:25 “Also, thou son of man, shall it not be in the day when I take from them their strength, the joy of their glory”, (not God’s glory - their glory) “the desire of their eyes”, (remember Ezekiel’s wife), “and that where upon they set their minds, their sons and their daughter,” What do they have their minds “set on”? Where are the minds of many people ‘set on’ today? Given that we all have free will, you can be sure it will be something sinful. Think about it. When you recognize that God is your Father; that He is God, then you know that it is not the ways of this world that are important. All those things are going to be gone; done away with when Christ returns to reign and rule in righteousness. All the filth of this world; the injustice, the crime in both high places and in the regular population, the senseless murders, mowing down innocent children with weapons designed for war, will all come to a screeching halt under the righteous rule of the Messiah, Jesus Christ. Why on earth would anyone want to risk being lost for the eternity, by being misled in these end times by Satan. If God should see fit to lift the veil of flesh and allow us to see into the future, we might be shocked to know just how close that time is, so why take the chance? It’s late in the day. Antichrist is coming just as God has told us in His Word - not maybe; not perhaps, but he IS coming. Be ready!

Ezek. 24:26 “That he that escapeth in that day shall come unto thee, to cause thee to hear it with thine ears?” (27) “In that day shall thy mouth be opened to Him which is escaped, and thou shalt speak, and be no more dumb: and thou shalt be a sign unto them; and they shall know that I am the Lord.” There are those who think they are saved, but are not. They have been ‘playing church’, and some of those who will be deceived by Antichrist when he arrives, will have their ears unstopped, and if they realize in time that they have been duped into believing he is the real Jesus, they will finally understand the Truth. That’s a really close call; it’s like being ‘snatched out of the fire’. Sadly, many will not see their mistake and will follow Satan into the lake of fire. That’s the urgency of the message that our Father is trying to get us to hear. Most people are being taught that Christ’s return can be “any moment”, completely ignoring God’s Word that tells us in so many places that the Antichrist is coming first - before Christ returns. Those who believe that have already received the ‘mark of the beast’, and will accept the first supernatural being that comes doing magic tricks, like calling down lightning from heaven (Rev. 13:13). Don’t be deceived. Your eternal future depends on it!

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.